Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Finally Tomatoes!

I feel like my tomato plants have lived on and on, without the benefit of a ripe, juicy tomato. Finally we are eating our cherry tomatoes "Sweet Baby Girl". They were definitely worth waiting for and definitely sweet, although it has been a long wait since March 15th when I started the seeds under grow lights in the house.


A very cold, rainy Spring and early Summer really set back the growth of the plants and emergence of the tomato blossoms once they were set outside, but now we have them in abundance. Now I wonder about the larger "Brandywine" tomatoes I planted. Although they are slowly getting bigger they are still very,very green.

 
 
The only problem now is with lots of blossoms and green tomatoes, will we beat the first frost with a bumper crop or will we be disappointed with only a handful of slicing tomatoes this year? Time will tell, but with an average date of the first frost for this area being between September 27 to October 7, I'd say the odds are in my favor with frost still a month away. If not, there is always next year to try again, and of course we will.
 
Be sure to visit us at www.thefarmatmillvillage.com 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment