Monday, June 2, 2014

Beatrix is Here!

   Our new duckling has arrived and is just as darling as can be. We have named her Beatrix and she is now a tiny yellow duckling but will soon grow to be a large white Pekin Duck. Our plan is that she will be a companion to Francesca, our Rouen Duck, but we will have to wait and see when introductions are made.
  Francesca originally had two companions when we got her two years ago, but now occupies the duck house alone at night and during the coldest winter days. I ordered three Rouen ducks from a local feed store- two females and one male. I had hopes of little ducklings from this grouping, but it was not to be. I ended up giving the male duck away because he was so abusive to the female ducks, and even worse to me. I had constant bruises on my arms, where he bit me every time I gave them food or water, for the few short months I had him. Francesca's constant companion, Jemima, was killed the first summer by what we believe was a fox. Francesca was seriously injured as well, but survived by staying in the water in the center of a small livestock trough behind our barn, so apparently the fox could not reach her. She limped for a long time, lost quite a few feathers, and suffered a broken heart always looking for her friend Jemima. Since then she was adopted by the sheep, and thinks she is a sheep. She is always by their sides during the day when they are in the pasture. We thought she might like this little duck for "duck" company when she is alone in her house, but I fear she will probably just teach Beatrix to be a sheep too!
Beatrix- one day old
Every duckling should have it's own claw foot bathtub on the back porch!
Last week's bee inspection- the bees are thriving!
Our "not so baby" chicks

No comments:

Post a Comment