Tuesday, August 12, 2014

For the Love of Yard Sales

   I admit it, since I was 15 years old I have been a yard sale aficionado. Luckily for me, my husband really loves a good yard sale as well and is more than happy to go out on Saturday mornings on the hunt for a great bargain. It seems the interesting yard sales are becoming fewer and fewer, so we really didn't go out that many weekends this year.
   My first rule is to read all the newspapers on Friday and Saturday and look for yard sale ads especially with the words "antique" or "vintage" in them. Be there at least 15 minutes early and try to line up a few sales in the same general geographic area, and then the hunt is on. We only go out for a couple of hours since the really "good stuff" goes quickly and then it is usually a waste of time and gas driving around for hours. Often the best items are over-priced in the morning and the sellers are willing to take a lot less later in the day, so sometimes with a trip back late in the day you may just be lucky enough to find an item you really loved but couldn't afford is now going home with you for a song!
   This year I can't say I went to any one great yard sale. It seemed to be a really bad year for yard sales. Yet, I did manage a few fun purchases this year. I have been mainly looking for garden and vintage garden items and did find a few things I really like. This past weekend we went to a moving sale and I think I may have found my best buy of the summer yard sale season. I spotted a concrete Japanese pagoda garden decoration for $50. Since I have a few concrete garden embellishments, I know that any is worth $50. I was sold, but being a yard sale veteran I knew I had to ask if the seller would take less. When she said $30 I was ecstatic! So I now have a three tiered Japanese pagoda that is over four feet tall in my yard. Of course I looked it up on the internet and found the same exact one by the same manufacturer for $350. That's a yard sale score I would say! Next year I am planning a shade garden for my pagoda in a shady corner of my yard. Feng shui?
  

Our new pagoda ($30)
1940s Rain King lawn sprinkler ( $4)
Vintage gardening tools ($1-$2 each)
1906 lawn mower ($20)
wheel to lawn mower-Worcester Mass. Lawn Mower Company
 
 
Rusty 1940s child's wheelbarrow ($10)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment