Thursday, October 30, 2014

Getting the barn ready for Winter

 
   As we go through this rainy, chilly weather pattern it makes me realize that a lot must be done in the barn, duck, and chicken houses to prepare for winter. My winter hay supply will be arriving in the barn, so I must reorganize and make room for the neatly stacked bales of hay which will dominate the first room of the barn. Where will everything go? Why do I always end up putting gardening tools and supplies in the animal barn instead of the garage designated for the garden paraphernalia? Well, everything will have to be put back into place and the hay will arrive to feed the animals.
   The animals are all doing well. The vet paid her visit for yearly exams and shots, and declared all are healthy. It is always a relief to hear that from your vet. Annabelle, our 4 1/2 month old Jersey heifer, has now been weaned off of her twice a day bottles and has been mooing her protests but has finally resigned herself to only eating grain and hay. Poor Annabelle! The sheep are getting their winter wool and are beginning to look like a flock of cuddly teddy bears. Oh, so cute!
   I recently had another small harvest of lavender and was able to make one more batch of lavender oatmeal soap. I have my fingers crossed that the 24 lavender plants I planted in the spring will winter over. I will mulch them with straw for protection and hope for the best. So far, they seem very well established and have grown more than I thought they would have in their first year, and I had three generous harvests from which I could make soap, lip balm and dried lavender sachets. I am already dreaming about all the lavender products I will make next year.
dried lavender sachets
 
 
home-crafted lavender oatmeal soap
 
return of winter wool
 
Poor Annabelle, no more bottles just hay and grain.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment