Thursday, December 5, 2013

Butternut Squash Beef Stew Recipe

   The Christmas decorating continues At The Farm at Mill Village. Hopefully I will be done by Friday, so I can sit and relax listening to Christmas music and just enjoy looking at all the embellishments which bring back wonderful memories of past Christmas seasons. On Saturday we plan to go and cut our Christmas tree at the local tree farm in Chelsea, Vermont. It would be nice to have a fresh snowfall on the ground, but the forecast for today and Friday is calling for mostly rain with a little mix of snow and freezing rain. Tomorrow night may bring an inch or two of snow, so I have my fingers crossed for a little tree harvesting snow.
   This year I decorated the wreath on my barn with vintage garden hand tools, a terra cotta flower pot filled with faux holly and apples, and a miniature watering can. I tied the garden tools on with baling twine that I took off of a bale of hay in the barn. That's what I call re purposing.
 
   I forgot to mention in my last post that our oldest black lab, Millie, had her birthday last Sunday on December 1st. Millie is now 14 years old! She only climbs the stairs once a day now just to go to bed at night, do to her arthritis, but other than that gets around pretty well. She also has much less gray hair than I do. She is such a joy to us!


Millie
 
   Tired of leftover Thanksgiving turkey? Try this tasty, warming stew on a chilly night for supper. The butternut squash and Marsala wine give it a sweetness that is just delicious and the herbs lend a savory flavor. Served with a loaf of crusty bread it is a wonderful winter meal. Enjoy!
 
 
Butternut Squash and Beef Stew
Olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
Rosemary
Thyme
Beef cubes coated with flour,salt, and pepper
1 cup Marsala wine
1 butternut squash cubed
can of diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
3 cups beef broth
 
- saute' onion and garlic in olive oil
- add flour,salt,and pepper coated beef cubes and brown
- loosen browned bits with Marsala wine
- add beef broth and thyme and rosemary (tied in a bouquet)
- add tomatoes, squash and more pepper to taste
- cook at least 1 1/2 hours ( better if cooked all afternoon)
- remove herb bouquet
- served garnished with fresh parsley
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment