Thursday, March 27, 2014

Let There be Bees

   There is no turning back, the bees have been ordered! As of Tuesday morning The Farm at Mill Village will officially be getting a package of Italian honey bees the first week in May. Italian honey bees are what is most prevalent in home gardens in the United States, and also a gentle bee recommended for beginner beekeepers. Oh, that is so me! My beekeeping class has been moved up to the first week in April and will be ending on April 28th, so I decided to order the bees this year. Why wait? The class was originally going to commence at the end of May, and with the bees arriving the first week of May I was hesitant to have the bees before completing the class. I ordered the bees and supplies through the Vermont Beekeeping Supply and they also offer numerous free beekeeping classes throughout the whole year, so I am feeling way more confident and excited about my new venture. Maybe this will be the year we get peaches on our peach trees if the bees do their job of pollinating the peach blossoms. I have high hopes for a greater abundance of fruit, vegetable crops, and flowers in the gardens with the help of the bees, not to mention the honey and beeswax the bees will supply us with. We are getting a small English garden hive with a pitched copper roof which I think will look charming in the garden.
   Our new bunnies, Patrick and Peter, are growing by leaps and bounds. It's so amazing how baby animals grow so quickly. They are enjoying their warm little spot in the house for now. They love cuddling up and sleeping together and I am so glad we decided to get the two of them for company for each other.
Peter and Patrick now 10 weeks old
 
And speaking of babies, our baby chicks will be here in two weeks. When I ordered them from the feed store weeks ago it seemed like forever before they would be here. So I guess spring should be arriving soon as well. Charlotte, our pregnant ewe, is also growing by leaps and bounds with the impending birth of her lamb on or near Easter Sunday. Less than a month to go! We still have so much snow here, but the sun is getting brighter and warmer and the days are getting longer. Spring must be right around the snow covered corner!

When will the snow go away?

 
Needle felted baby chick I made this week.
Please check our website for more needle felted birds at www.thefarmatmillvillage.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment